Computer Aided Drafting and Design
Associate in Science (A.S.)
The Computer Aided Drafting and Design Associate in Science (A.S.) degree at Valencia College is a two-year program that prepares you to go directly into a specialized career as a drafting technician.
Skilled drafting technicians bring concepts and language to fruition using graphical instructions for production, and are required to work closely with engineers. Today they are required to be highly skilled and versatile, and are needed in a variety of industries including architecture, construction, surveying and manufacturing. Valencia’s program prepares you for this challenging field utilizing state-of-the-art drafting and design techniques with the latest in computer-aided drafting equipment, including 3-D printing, 3-D modeling, AutoCAD and GIS technology. With these skills, you’ll be prepared to play a vital role in the engineering process.
Valencia’s program is the second largest drafting technology program in Florida.
Have questions?Read our FAQs
Program Overview and Degree Requirements
Review course descriptions, important dates and deadlines and other programs details in the official college catalog.
Valencia’s certificate programs can put you on the fast-track to reaching your career goals. They are designed to equip you with a specialized skill set for immediate employment or career advancement. Most can be completed in one year or less.
- Drafting – AutoCAD (15 credits)
- Drafting with specializations in: Architectural Drafting, Mechanical Drafting and Surveying Drafting (24 credits)
- Rapid Prototyping Specialist – 3-D Printing (12 credits)
Alternative Ways To Earn Credit
Did you know that you may already be eligible to receive college credit toward this program? Check out these opportunities:
- Career Pathways – Receive college credit for Career Pathways credits earned in high school.
- Industry Certifications – Receive college credit for approved Industry Certifications.
- Technical College Programs – Receive college credit toward this program for completing an approved Orange Technical College program.
Full-time – 2 to 3 years
Part-time – 3 to 4 years
You want to step up. We have a path to a bachelor's.
Prepare for a supervisory or management role in your field with a Bachelor of Applied Science degree in Business and Organizational Leadership. After completing your A.S. degree, build on your skills and expand your career opportunities by continuing your education at Valencia College and earning a bachelor’s degree. We encourage you to meet with a career program advisor to create your personalized education plan.
Learn How To
- Prepare plans and detailed drawing from rough or detailed sketches and notes for engineering or manufacturing purposes
- Use computer-assisted drafting (CADD) equipment and software for various building and construction projects
Industrial growth and increasingly complex design problems associated with new products and manufacturing processes will increase the demand for drafting services. Nearly all engineering, design and manufacturing firms are potential employers. More than one-third of all drafters work in engineering and architectural services, one-third in manufacturing, and the remainder in construction and utilities.
- Drafting Technician
- CADD Operator or Specialist
- Mechanical Engineering Assistant
- Drafting Designer
- Mechanical Designer
- Tooling Drafter
- Mechanical Drafter
AVERAGE SALARY RANGE
$28,000 – $35,000
The average placement rate for Valencia College A.S. degree and certificate programs ranges between 90 – 95% according to the latest FETPIP data.
Visit Career Coach to explore careers, salaries, job demand and related degrees.