Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Associate in Science (A.S.)
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Associate in Science (A.S.) degree at Valencia College is a two-year program that prepares you to go directly into a specialized career in sonography.
If you’re fascinated by the inner-workings of the human body, then you may want to consider becoming a sonographer. Sonographers play a dynamic role in the treatment and care of patients. When a doctor needs to study any of the soft tissue organs of a patient—like the liver, gallbladder, kidneys, thyroid or breast—it is the sonographer who provides the images using high frequency sound waves via ultrasound. You may also get to share in an experience most people remember for a lifetime—providing expectant mothers with their first glimpse of an unborn child—a moment most people remember for the rest of their lives.
Sonography is a limited-access program. For admission requirements and updates, program application and deadlines, visit the Health Sciences Division website.
Have questions, or want more information?
Program Overview and Degree Requirements
Review course descriptions, important dates and deadlines and other programs details in the official college catalog.
Alternative Ways To Earn Credit
Did you know that you may already be eligible to receive college credit toward this program? Check out these opportunities:
- Industry Certifications – Receive college credit for approved Industry Certifications
(after all of the pre-admission course requirements have been met)
Program begins each fall.
Learn How To
- Analyze and present diagnostic data for interpretation and diagnosis by the physician
- Position the patient’s body so that the correct areas can be seen on an ultrasound screen
- Perform sonograms and record normal anatomy and pathologic data for interpretation
A variety of exciting career opportunities are available for sonographers. They may work in clinics, physicians’ offices, diagnostic imaging centers, ambulatory care facilities, and hospitals in trauma/emergency and intensive/critical care settings. With rapidly developing new technologies and increased use of diagnostic ultrasound procedures, the sonography profession is projected to continue to grow in the future.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
- Ultrasound Technologist
AVERAGE SALARY RANGE
$40,000 – $45,000
Average Placement RateValencia’s AS degree programs have a 97% average placement rate.
Visit Career Coach to explore careers, salaries, job demand and related degrees.
- Attend a Program Information Session. Please bring a copy of the program guide for your desired track with you. If you are not local and cannot attend the information session, review the program guide and read the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Apply to Valencia College.
- Complete required general education courses before applying to the program.
- Once your transcripts have been received and evaluated, and if you meet eligibility requirements, you can apply to the program.
To learn more about this program, including application requirements, attend one of our information sessions. Please bring a copy of the program guide with you. If you are unable to attend, refer to the program guide and the resources available at Health Sciences.