Health Information Technology
Associate in Science (A.S.)
The Health Information Technology Associate in Science (A.S.) degree at Valencia College is a two-year program with online courses that prepares you to go directly into a specialized career in medical records.
Health information professionals play a critical role in health care—even though they rarely interact with patients. Every time you hear a health statistic on the news, read a doctor’s diagnosis in your medical record or use your health insurance card, you can be sure a medical record technician has played a part. Health information technicians are specialists in preparing, analyzing and managing medical records. They play a key role in coding and reimbursement and are considered experts in assuring the privacy and security of health data. In Valencia’s HIT program, students learn how to collect, analyze, monitor and report health data, using the latest technology. As more doctors and hospitals move toward electronic health records, trained technicians in this field will become more in demand than ever.
Have questions, or want more information?
Program Overview and Degree Requirements
Review course descriptions, important dates and deadlines and other programs details in the official college catalog.
Alternative Ways To Earn Credit
Did you know that you may already be eligible to receive college credit toward this program? Check out these opportunities:
- Industry Certifications – Receive college credit for approved Industry Certifications
(after all of the pre-admission course requirements have been met)
Program begins each fall.
Learn How To
- Use various classification systems to code, categorize and manage patient information
- Ensure quality, accuracy, accessibility and security in both paper and electronic systems
- Comply with established data quality principles, legal and information security standards and professional best-practice guidelines
Health information technology is one of the fastest-growing occupations in our region. And as the health care industry moves toward electronic records, the demand for health information professionals will continue to grow and increase. Excellent career opportunities are available in a variety of settings including hospitals, clinics, insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies. Other opportunities are available in nursing homes, physician’s offices and rehabilitation centers.
- Health Information Technician
- Medical Records Technician
AVERAGE SALARY RANGE
$32,000 – $38,000
The average placement rate for Valencia’s A.S. Degree and Certificate programs ranges between 90 – 95% according to the latest FETPIP data.
Visit Career Coach to explore careers, salaries, job demand and related degrees.
- Attend a Program Information Session. Please bring a copy of the program guide for your desired track with you. If you are not local and cannot attend the information session, review the program guide and read the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Apply to Valencia College.
- Complete required general education courses before applying to the program.
- Once your transcripts have been received and evaluated, and if you meet eligibility requirements, you can apply to the program.
To learn more about this program, including application requirements, attend one of our information sessions. Please bring a copy of the program guide with you. If you are unable to attend, refer to the program guide and the resources available at Health Sciences.