Associate in Science (A.S.)
The Respiratory Care Associate in Science (A.S.) degree at Valencia College is a two-year program that prepares you to go directly into a specialized career as a respiratory therapist.
Respiratory therapists are an integral member of any medical team and serve as life-support specialists who work to restore the heart and lung system to normal function. A respiratory therapist’s main role is to assist physicians in treating patients who experience heart or lung problems and breathing disorders such as chronic asthma or emphysema. Valencia’s program provides a strong base in therapeutic techniques and state-of-the-art equipment, as well as hands-on experience at some of the community’s major medical centers. Through this combined educational experience, students learn to use their classroom knowledge in real-life situations.
Respiratory Care is a limited-access program. For admission requirements and updates, program application and deadlines, visit the Health Sciences Division website.
Have questions, or want more information?
Program Overview and Degree Requirements
Review course descriptions, important dates and deadlines and other programs details in the official college catalog.
Alternative Ways To Earn Credit
Did you know that you may already be eligible to receive college credit toward this program? Check out these opportunities:
- Industry Certifications – Receive college credit for approved Industry Certifications
(after all of the pre-admission course requirements have been met)
Program begins each spring.
Learn How To
- Evaluate and treat patients’ breathing problems
- Sample blood to test the oxygen and carbon dioxide levels and report results to the physician
- Use a ventilator to pump pressurized air-oxygen mixes through a tube into patients’ lungs
Respiratory therapists work mainly in hospitals, in the departments of respiratory care, pulmonary medicine or anesthesiology. Other career opportunities are available in medical clinics, physicians’ offices, home care, sales, education, research and consulting. Employment of respiratory therapists is projected to grow faster than the average for all occupations. Growth in the middle-aged and elderly population will lead to an increased incidence of respiratory conditions such as emphysema, chronic bronchitis and pneumonia.
- Respiratory Therapist
- Respiratory Care Practitioner
AVERAGE SALARY RANGE
$40,000 – $48,000
Average Placement Rate
Valencia’s A.S. Degree and Certificate programs placement rate ranges between 90% – 95%.
Visit Career Coach to explore careers, salaries, job demand and related degrees.
- Attend a Program Information Session. Please bring a copy of the program guide for your desired track with you. If you are not local and cannot attend the information session, review the program guide and read the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Apply to Valencia College.
- Complete required general education courses before applying to the program.
- Once your transcripts have been received and evaluated, and if you meet eligibility requirements, you can apply to the program.
To learn more about this program, including application requirements, attend one of our information sessions. Please bring a copy of the program guide with you. If you are unable to attend, refer to the program guide and the resources available at Health Sciences.