Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree at Valencia College provides an opportunity for individuals who hold an A.S. degree in Nursing from a regionally accredited institution to further their education and increase their potential for career advancement.
The curriculum offers courses that cover a wide range of topics, including:
- Nursing theories and research
- Foundations of health care policy
- Community health assessments
- Leadership in health care
- Effective use of patient care technologies
- Pathophysiology for common disease conditions
- Scientific evidence for nursing practices
The BSN degree program is a limited-access program and admission to Valencia College does not guarantee acceptance. Applicants must have completed an eligible nursing degree program, and provide proof of a current Florida nursing license or eligibility to obtain a Florida nursing license. Students are admitted to the program each term and applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Applications that are submitted before the priority deadline are more likely to be processed for the upcoming term; however, you may submit an application after the priority deadline.
Designed for working professionals, this is an online program with the exception of two, twenty-hour face-to-face clinical experiences (which can be split up to accommodate your schedule). Students must complete at least 30 degree credits at Valencia College to be awarded this degree.
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing was approved for applicant status for the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accreditation. Site visit scheduled for September 2019.
OUR DEGREES THAT TRANSFER TO THIS BACHELOR’S
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program is designed for individuals who have completed an Associate of Nursing Degree (AN), Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN), Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN), or Associate of Applied Science in Nursing (AAS) from a regionally accredited institution.
Have questions, or want more information?
Have questions, or want more information?Request Information
Learn How To
- Create a culture of safety and caring through the use of leadership concepts, skills and decision-making within complex organizational systems.
- Incorporate evidence in collaboration with other team members to improve patient outcomes through the use of theory and research in daily practice.
- Demonstrate knowledge of health care policy, finance and regulatory environments, and the effect they have on planning and implementing patient care.
- Understand population-focused care by identifying health deficits, and prioritizing disease preventing and health promotion interventions.
To fulfill the lower-division (first half) of the Nursing bachelor’s degree, you must complete an Associate in Science degree from a regionally accredited institution in the following area.
A.S. in Nursing
Through this path, you will complete the general education requirements and prerequisites for the Nursing bachelor’s degree. The A.S. in Nursing program will teach you about the fundamentals of the health care field, as well as gain experience working with medical equipment and assessing patients.
After completing the lower-division coursework, you may move on to the upper-division (second half) of the Nursing bachelor’s degree.
Nursing is a limited-access program. For admission requirements and updates, program application and deadlines, see the following.
The purpose of the BSN Program Guide and Student Handbook is to familiarize the student with the policies of the program and to provide direction to the student throughout their course of study.
1 to 2 years
You can complete the entire BSN degree program in as little as two years.
STEPS FOR ADMISSION
- Attend a Nursing Information Session and review and program requirements in the online Valencia catalog:
- Complete the Bachelor’s Degree & ATC application for admission to Valencia College and select B.S. Nursing as planned course of study.
- Submit final official transcripts from high school and all previously attended colleges and universities with one denoting completion of an Associate of Nursing Degree (AN), Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN), Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN), or Associate of Applied Science in Nursing (AAS) from a regionally accredited institution.
- Receive notification from the Valencia Admissions Office of acceptance to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program.
- Following program admission, complete the online Bachelor’s New Student Orientation.
- Confer with the Bachelor’s Nursing Advisor if assistance is needed relative to course selection, registration and/or getting started in the program.
Please note: Online BSN programs do not meet immigration requirements for students holding an F1 or J1 Visa to maintain status. If you have questions, please contact International Student Services.
Learn more about this limited-access programs available at Valencia College by attending a nursing information session—open to current and prospective students. Please bring a copy of the program guide with you. If you are unable to attend, refer to refer to the program guide and contact an advisor.
Registered Nurses are projected to gain the second largest number of new jobs among all occupations in Florida over the next decade as demand for health care increases. Employment for registered nurses is expected to increase by 26 percent through 2022 in our region. The growth rate is much faster than other industries due to factors, including changes in health care requirements, an aging population and the rising rates of chronic conditions.
- Clinical Nurse Manager
- Research Nurse
- Nurse Navigator
- Occupational Health Nurse
- Clinical Nurse Educator
- Surgical Nurse
- Public Health Nurse
- Nursing Informatics
- Patient Advocate
($30.28 per hour)
Visit Career Coach to explore careers, salaries, job demand and related degrees.
Our Health Science Advising Office is available to answer your questions, provide details about the program and courses, and help you understand the admission requirements. Fill out this form to have the program staff contact you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to apply to the RN-BSN completion program?
To be eligible to apply, you must meet the following criteria:
• Hold an associate degree in nursing
• Hold a current FL RN license or be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN
• Have a minimum overall college GPA of 2.0
• Have an address in the state of Florida
To apply, complete bachelor’s application for admission to Valencia College and choose the bachelor’s degree in nursing as your major.
How much will it cost to complete my BSN at Valencia?
The cost is $112.19 per credit. For students who completed their A.S. Nursing or A.A. degree at Valencia or another college, the 30 credits needed to complete a bachelor’s degree will cost an estimated $3,365.70. However, textbook and lab fees, as well as the costs of any other courses that are needed will add to the total cost.
How long will it take me to complete my BSN?
The length of time for completion of your BSN program will be determined by:
1. Whether you have your associate degree from Valencia or another college
2. Whether you choose to enroll on a full- or part-time basis
3. Health Assessment, NUR1060C, is strongly recommended to be taken prior to entering the RN-BSN completion program or be taken during your first term of the program
A BSN advisor can help you determine your course pathway.
Is this an online program?
The RN-BSN completion program is primarily online with the exception a twenty-hour face-to-face clinical practicum completed in NUR 3634 Community Health Nursing and NUR 4945C Nursing Capstone.